phpLiterAdmin: A Better SQLite Database Manager?

Saturday, July 12, 2008

SQLite is a wonderful flatfile database system that’s just gaining exposure in the PHP-programming population. For moderately-sized databases, SQLite offers speed and performance gains over even MySQL. The native object-oriented interface is also very easy to use.

Because SQLite is a relatively new player in the PHP arena, there is currently a serious shortage of good administration tools targeting it. While MySQL has phpMyAdmin and a bunch of other tools, SQLite is left on the side.

phpLiterAdmin is a new opensource PHP-SQLite administration tool that shows great promise. Although its author currently has more experience with MySQL, he is a skilled PHP developer who is capable of undertaking substantial projects. This project’s on my watch-list.

1. Ian says:

Thanks :-) I hope to make this feature packed, yet not be bloated, and slow.

Right now I would say it has maybe a few less features (unnoticeable) than phpMiniAdmin. I am planning on adding things such as multiple database support, editing rows, inserting rows (Not sure how I will do that if nothing is in the table), maybe even a easy create table thing.

2. Jiang Yio says:

That would be cool. I think inserting rows should follow naturally from creating tables; you really can’t insert rows if you’ve an empty file.

3. Ian says:

Yeah, but I cannot figure out how to get what rows are in a SQLite table without data being inside it, as I cannot find anything to do that =S

4. Jiang Yio says:

I see… I don’t think SQL supports that operation in itself. Perhaps the pragma table_info() is what you need: http://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#schema

MySQL has a similar mechanism to overcome this issue.

5. Ian says:

I actually figured it out, if I remember the function right it is sqlite_field_name and I know of a function that can get the column type

6. Jiang Yio says:

Ah, cool. SQLite is typeless, though. You write any column type you want, followed optionally by parenthesized integers… and SQLite ignores them. =p

7. Ian says:

Thats the annoying thing, whats the point of type declarations if it doesn’t listen ._.

8. Jiang Yio says:

This forces you to do the type checking and validation in your own application, and allows you to make up any type you want. Perhaps phpLiterAdmin should not enforce types either, because it’s meant to be used for any general SQLite database.

9. Ian says:

Yeah, it doesn’t force the data types ;)